TEACH Missouri Logo
A teacher prep program candidate sits in an orientation session. She is wearing a nametag and smiling at the presentation.

Teaching program application requirements

45 minutes
45 minutes

Teaching program application requirements

Everything you need to know about teacher prep program requirements: From getting your transcripts to applications and exams, this guide has you covered.

So you want to apply to an educator preparation program (a.k.a. a teaching program), and you’re figuring out what you need to enroll. That’s great news!

When you apply, program staff will look at a few different pieces to make sure you’re eligible for admission, including: 

  • Your academic history. 
  • Your related work experience. 
  • Your test scores. 
  • Your essay.
  • Letters of recommendation.

In this guide, we’ll look at each of these components.

If you have any questions about your teaching program applications, reach out to a TEACH Missouri coach or admissions staff for support. We’re here for you.

Jump to:

Your academic history

When you submit your application, you’ll need to show your previous coursework, transcripts and any previous degrees or college credits you’ve earned.

What transcripts do I need to send?

With your transcripts, teaching programs want to see your GPA and what courses you’ve already taken (that includes transcripts for any college classes you took in high school!). 

You may be able to upload unofficial transcripts for the initial application, but you will need to formally request your official transcripts before (or shortly after) you’re admitted.

To request your transcripts:

Contact the transcript office or records office of the schools you attended.

Follow their transcript request procedures. You can often find the procedures on the school’s website. You can also try calling or emailing the school.

Budget at least three to five days for processing.

Some schools will send transcripts by mail; others may have electronic copies.

In your request, be sure to include:

  • Your name. If your name has changed since you attended school, let them know your name as it appeared when you attended the school.
  • Your student ID number, if you have it.
  • How many copies of your transcript you need.
  • Your signature.
  • Where to send the transcript, such as the physical or email address of the program you’re applying to.

Sometimes you’ll need to pay a fee to order an official transcript. Not to worry! TEACH Missouri offers up to $100 in fee reimbursements for this kind of expense. Visit our Fee Reimbursements page to learn more.

Do I need a degree?

You don’t need a bachelor’s degree when you start a teaching program, but you’ll need one before you become a Missouri certified teacher. Many programs let you earn your bachelor’s and certification at the same time. To learn more about your program options, look at the statement below that best fits your situation.

If you don’t have a bachelor’s degree yet, you’ll want to look for a combined undergraduate certification and bachelor’s program that offers the certification area you’re interested in teaching.

In some cases, you’ll officially apply to your teaching program in your second or third year of your bachelor’s degree. Many undergraduate teaching programs require you to declare a major related to the grades and subject area you plan to teach. For example, you might declare an education major, or you might major in your teaching subject (such as English or math), with an education minor. Programs may have specific grade average requirements as well.

When you start school, your advisor can help you create a degree plan to make sure you’re getting all of the required courses.

Ready to start looking? You can find undergraduate certification and bachelor’s programs with the TEACH Missouri Program Explorer.

  • I don't have a bachelor's degree

  • I already have a degree

Practical experience

In addition to your academic history, admissions staff will look at your work experience so far, including any experience you’ve had working in education or in your subject area.

What kind of experience do I need?

Most teaching programs will require you to have a certain amount of meaningful experience working in education. 

Education experience

Ideally, you’ll already have experience working with the age group and subject area that you want to teach, but other education experience can work too. Maybe you’ve worked in an after-school program or as a classroom paraprofessional. Maybe you’ve been a camp counselor or an instructor for a weekend program, like Saturday school or Sunday school. Those all count!

Subject area experience

If you’re a career changer, your work experience can also be useful for your teaching program applications. For example, if you’ve worked in business administration or marketing, you might be a great candidate to teach business education. Or you might be an experienced musician who could teach music classes. Or maybe you’ve worked as a researcher or computer scientist—you could make a skilled science or technology education teacher.

Vocational and professional work experience all count as valuable background and expertise in your chosen subject area!

How much practical experience do I need?

The exact number of experience hours you’ll need will vary from program to program. Ask your program about their specific requirements.

Whatever your experience, you’ll want to highlight your achievements and responsibilities. Check out our resume guide and template for ideas and advice on creating a top-notch resume.

Test scores

When applying for a teaching program, you’ll need to submit scores from a core academic skills test or a content area exam.

We’ll briefly go over each of these tests here. You can find more detailed information about what the tests cover and how to prepare in our testing guide!

Contact your teaching program to learn more about their testing requirements for applicants.

What tests do I need for a bachelor’s and certification program?

To apply to a bachelor’s degree and certification program, you’ll need to submit test scores to show you’ve mastered core skills in reading, writing and math. This is called the Core Academic Skills requirement.

The ACT and Missouri General Education Assessment (MoGEA) both count toward the Core Academic Skills requirement.

Visit our testing guide for more info about preparing for these tests and required test scores.

What tests do I need if I have a bachelor’s degree?

If you already have a bachelor’s degree, you don’t need to take a Core Academic Skills test to apply to a teaching program  

Before you get your teaching certificate though, you’ll need to pass a content area assessment, to show you know your content area well enough to teach it. Most Missouri teachers will take the Missouri Content Assessment, or MoCA. 

Depending on your program, you’ll take the MoCA before you apply, after you apply or after you start your program. Check with program staff if you’re not sure when you need to take your content area assessment.

How do I send my test scores?

Like your transcripts, you can usually submit unofficial copies of your scores with your application.

For most exams, you can designate several schools to automatically receive your scores. To get your hands on additional official copies, head over to the testing website to order them. We’ve gathered the links to make it easier for you! 

Other application materials

Finally, you’ll probably need to submit an essay or personal statement and at least one letter of recommendation.

If there’s anything in your academic or work history that you’re worried about, these can be good places to address those.

The Essay

In most applications, you’ll need to either write a personal statement about your interest in the program, or answer a series of essay-style questions. This is your chance to share a little more about your background and interests to show why you’re a good fit.

For many people, the essay can feel like the most stressful part of the application process. But there are resources to make it easier!

Check out our essay guide for advice and a template to get started.

Letters of recommendation

You’ll usually need to include at least one letter of recommendation from a former teacher or supervisor in your application. Letters of recommendation can show off your strengths in a way that’s hard to do for yourself.

To get a stellar letter of recommendation, it’s important to follow some basic asking etiquette. We’ve got you covered there too—take a look at our letter of rec guide and template for more.

For international students and applicants

If you’re from outside the U.S., you may need to provide additional paperwork to show that you’re ready for your program or certificate. For more information, click on the statement below that fits you best.

If you have a degree from an English-speaking country, you’ll need to provide a letter from your university that verifies the language of instruction.

After you graduate, it’s important to know that not all school districts will sponsor work visas. Make sure to speak with the admissions staff at your college or teaching program, to ensure that you know all the requirements for transcripts and work visas.

  • I have a degree from an English-speaking country

  • I do not have a degree from an English-speaking country

Want to keep exploring?

Applications have a lot of steps, and we’re here to support you with all of them.

Check out more FREE tools to simplify the process.

Explore More Guides